SQL Summer Camp’s goal is to bring high quality SQL Server and other training to its campers in destination locations.
Situated on the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia, about 2 hours south of Halifax, we will spend the week outdoors in a marquee learning SQL Server, and building professional and personal relationships. Each day will consist of SQL Server focused sessions for Campers, while the Stowaways have their own activities planned, or are free to wander. Once the scheduled training sessions are done, the real learning gets underway. Scheduled social events let the Campers, speakers and counselors to get to know each other, and pick each others’ brains even more! All meals are provided and served in a fun & social atmosphere as well.
By the end of the week, not only will you have loads of new SQL Server knowledge, you will have new friendships and networking connections in the industry that will last a lifetime!
Here’s a video from Tourism Nova Scotia about the area we are going to be in, just to give you a bit of a taste of what it will be like before you get here! In fact, the ferry shown is just up the road a bit from where we will be setting up SQL Summer Camp!
- +Is this a conference, boot camp, or a fun SQL get together?
SQL Summer Camp is a combination of making new friends, having fun and learning new things about SQL Server. This is not a rigorous, intensive boot camp style of training, nor will it be like a typical conference where you just sit and listen to speakers talk all day.
Instead, SQL Summer Camp will have a combination of fun activities, training, and social events related to SQL Server. We understand we will have people of various technical levels joining us, so we will have training and activities for everyone.
You can look forward to things like presentations and training from some of the best SQL people in the world, camper-lead panels, fun competitions and activities like the SQL Server Sea Shanty Sing Off and SQL horror stories by the fire.
- +What topics will be covered in training?
The schedule is still being sorted out, but a wide variety of SQL server topics will be covered. If there is something in particular that you, as a camper, would like to learn about, let us know and we will try our best to fit it in.
- +What does SQL Summer Camp cost?
The price for SQL Summer Camp is $2,500. This includes all food, training and excursions. If you are bringing friends or family they can attend as part of our Stowaway program.
- +What is included in the price?
Because we want you to have the freedom to stay where you like, the price does not include travel or accommodations. We do include all of your meals though, as well as:
– All SQL Server training events.
– All basic activities that you want to participate in.
– Linens for your bed and shower (Towels, sheets, blankets, etc.)
– Meals on Sunday afternoon and evening, all week long during training, and Saturday breakfast and lunch.
– Cool swag to remember your experience at camp
– Limited Shuttle services to and from the Airport. If you want/need a shuttle for transport to and from the airport let us know when registering for SQL Summer Camp.
- +Are there any other activities that cost extra?
There will be a few recreational events that may cost extra. If you are not coming as a camper but as a +1, or Stowaway as we call them, there is a separate program you can participate in that does not include the technical training.
- +What other expenses might we incur in addition to the cost of getting to camp and camp itself?
Along with everything already included with camp, there are a few things that are NOT included in the price.
– SQL Summer Camp merchandise. We’ll have extra SQL Summer Camp apparel and items on site in case you’re interested in picking up extra swag.
– ALCOHOL. You are welcome to bring or purchase your own alcohol, but SQL Summer Camp will not be providing it on a regular basis. Keep in mind you are here to learn so don’t go nuts and kill all your brain cells during camp.
– Nova Scotia souvenirs
– Private excursions, like wine tastings, horseback riding, etc.
– Some included excursions have additional fees to cover materials. These fees are already discounted for our attendees. (For example the Knife Making Course)
– Meals not provided by SQL Summer Camp
- +Will we need money at camp?
We recommend having some cash, but we will be running a “tab” system for campers to make things easier. If you plan to do activities, events, tours, etc outside of camp we advise having cash as well.
- +What currency is everything in?
All prices for SQL Summer Camp are in USD. Since we will be in Canada for the duration of SQL Summer Camp, it is recommended to have some Canadian currency on hand. Canada used the Canadian Dollar which is very close in value to the US dollar now so most Canadian shops will take US dollars on a close to even exchange. You can check the current exchange rate here.
- +Will any kind of discounts be available?
Yes! If you register prior to Feb 28th, 2015 and provide this code: LOBSTER We will take 10% off your camper registration cost!